PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

January 1, 2013

2013 Challenge: January No TV for a Month

Resolutions are not something I am good at.  I make them sometimes, but usually break them in a few days.  Or I talk about them, but I never do them.  But this year I think I am going to really try.  I need to make some changes.  I keep waiting to be a grown up.  I keep waiting to be in control and be where I want to be.  I keep thinking when certain things happen, then I will be more grown up and responsible.  Well I am living on my own, married, with two kids.... It doesn't get much more grown up than that.  Don't get me wrong I am very happy in my life and very satisfied staying at home with the babies, but I think I need to get in control of my life.  I also live responsibly, ya know bills paid and responsible choices made, but I still feel like I am not in control.  I need to grab the reigns.  I need to feel like I am living my life rather then holding on for dear life.  So this year I am going to give myself a challenge every month to try and gain some control and organize my life.

So for January I was thinking about what I should do.  It is going to be the first challenge so I wanted it to be a good one.  I think one of our most valuable assets is time.  Imagine what I could do if I managed my time better.  So I thought what do I spend a lot of time doing that is not essential or helpful.  My answer.... TV!

January Challenge: No TV

If you know me, you know I love watching tv.  I am up on all the shows.  I can name all the Real and  the Desperate Housewives.  I can tell you what happen last week on Modern Family.  I can recite lines from Roseanna by heart.  So no TV for a month is going to be hard for me.  But it just happens too often that once the kids go down for bed I sit down to watch one tv show, which turns into a night of tv with nothing down.  Then I get up to a messy house and a cluttered mind.  The decision seemed simple... terrifying, but simple.  I am about to embark on a month with no TV.  Although my hubby and I will still have our home date night which is part of his anniversary present.

I think this is going to be tough for me, but I am hoping it will force me to be more productive and maybe find a better way to unwind and not waste my nights in front of the TV.  I will check in every week to let you know how I am surviving and what I am learning.  By the end of 2013 hopefully I will feel more in control of my life.


If you are so inclined you can join me in taking back 2013 and getting in control of our lives.  It doesn't have to be a month with out TV, although I would love some support.  Just let me know what you are doing or if you have any idea for next months challenge for me.  I will write weekly updates just to keep you post on my progress (but mainly to keep me committed and honest about the whole thing.)

So January....  A month with out TV.... Whatever with I do?

Stay tuned to find out.



Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

5 comments:

  1. Mary, I know you can totally swing this. I almost wonder where you find time for TV in the 1st place with 2 babies on your hands. Our TV broke down 3 years ago, and we never looked back. Sure, Hubs finds other ppl's houses when he wants to watch "important" soccer matches, and now we do movies via a gift Netflix account, but TV in general I think you'll find a relief to let go of, even if just for a month. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Mary! We are too much the sports enthusiasts in our house and Sunday football rules :)

    Happy New Year Mary!

    xoxo
    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm terrible at making annual resolutions (well, terrible at keeping them, anyway), so I love the idea of a monthly challenge. Also - I agree that putting it on the internet somehow helps keep you accountable! I think I will follow suit - but I'm not sure what my challenge will be this month. We have a few changes happening in our family that will impact our schedules - so my goal of trying to maintain sanity might be enough! I'll think about it and let you know next week when you post your update! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I am proud of you for committing to this, I would have a very hard time giving up TV for any length of time. Probably means I should! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Jelli. I avoid TV like the plague. Such a time suck... especially the commercials. I prefer to waste my time surfing the web! Now, I can get lost in a good series via Netflix, but that's a whole other story! We also do no TV in April, so I'll keep it there! :)

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...